New Zealand bans suspect’s manifesto (The Detroit News)
The New Jim Crowe, by Michelle Alexander (Wikipedia)
Jack Maple – creator of CompStat methodology that reduced crime in NYC but ultimately lead to arrest quotas (Wikipedia)
North Carolina Jury Sunshine Project findings (Wake Forest University)
- Women and men serve on felony trial juries at about the same rate.
- Prosecutors remove twice as many potential black jurors at trial as white jurors (20 percent of available black jurors compared with 10 percent of available white jurors).
- Judges remove 14 percent of available black jurors compared with 10 percent of available white jurors.
- Defense attorneys remove white jurors more often: they exclude 22 percent of the available white jurors versus 10 percent of the available black jurors.
- The differences in removal rates are different for urban and rural districts, with racial disparities larger on average in urban districts.
- The differences in removal rates are different from some urban districts than for other urban districts: the largest disparities occur in Charlotte, Durham, and Winston-Salem, while smaller disparities happen in Fayetteville, Greensboro, and Raleigh.
- Juries with more black males tend to acquit the defendant more often, all other things being equal.
- Juries with more white males tend to convict the defendant more often, all other things being equal.
- Juries with more black females tend to acquit more often, but only slightly; juries with more white females do not tend to acquit or convict any more often than the overall pool of trials.
John Engler, 46th Governor of Michigan, from 1991 to 2003 (Wikipedia)
First Step Act (Wikipedia)
Criminal Conviction of Charles Kushner (Wikipedia)